May 30, 2005

Monday misc.

Some good news from a church. Greg talks about a Memorial Day service that was Toby Keith free. Glad to hear that some churches out there recognize that the purpose of church is not to worship America.

*****

The Indy 500 ran yesterday. As Cold In Laramie is well aware, I care very little for racing. Actually much less than that. But like many others, I was intrigued by Danica Patrick's rookie Indy. She came in 4th and, according to people who know, did very well. After the race, interviewers tried to make it about her gender, but she made it about the team and her ability. We got the sense that she wasn't doing it to make some feminist statement, but simply because she is good at racing cars. Isn't feminism interesting? While New Life Church in Colorado Springs continues to preach the submissive wife, and evangelicals everywhere bash feminism, women continue to make inroads into male-dominated areas. And why not? This 40 year old White male says, "hurrah!"

*****

As you might notice (or not) on the right side of my blog, I have added a new feature. Thanks to LG, I have created a random quote java script. I only have a few quotes, and would like to add some more. So, this is a call for good quotes--religious and otherwise. So, send them on.

5 comments:

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

I have quite a file of quotes that might be useful and apropos of your blog themes. Is there a limit on word length, etc.? Send me the info on this add-on; sounds like something I may want to add to my own.

Streak said...

Will do. It is actually kind of cool. Everytime you refresh, you should get a different quote.

Wasp Jerky said...

Oooh. What fun! Try these on for size:

"The church is always trying to get other people to reform; it might not be a bad idea to reform itself a little, by way of example." --Mark Twain

"It is terrible to contemplete how few politicians are hanged." -G.K. Chesterton

"The legislature's job is to write law. It's the executive branch's job to interpret law." --George W. Bush

Streak said...

Wow, Kevin, are those real?

Wasp Jerky said...

As far as I know they are. You'd have to Google them for the source.