September 30, 2009

What has become of the Republican party

SOF had a rough sinus night so our normal dog walk or sitting outside in the fall weather was shelved for Mucinex and tea. I watched the new Ken Burns PBS documentary on the National Parks and felt sad. Watching people of wealth and privilege work so hard to set aside some of America's treasures made me sad for today. Yeah, their concepts of nature and value were different than many today, and their motives were not always pure, but they valued something for the public good. Can anyone honestly tell me that any elected Republican today would go out on a limb to set aside the Grand Canyon as a national park? When there would be millions in lobbying money from the mining interests right there to urge them the other direction?

Hell, I don't have to play Kreskin. I know that they have gutted support for the Parks and anything public over the last 25 years. I am so sorry for those responsible Republicans who read here. I really am. I am sorry that I think so badly of their party, and so sorry that their party has been taken over by moral twits.

That is exactly what I thought when I read about Liz Cheney's rising star in the GOP. Evidently she goes to public speaking engagements for right wingers and is mobbed by people who just cheer every time she accuses Obama of not protecting America, or when she trots out the ticking time bomb scenario to justify her father's war crimes. She is mobbed by people asking her to run for office. Hard not to come to the same conclusion as this Tapped writer:
"For the GOP, torture is no longer a 'necessary evil.' It is a rally cry, a 'values' issue like same-sex marriage or abortion. They don't 'grudgingly' support torture, they applaud it. They celebrate it. Liz Cheney's unequivocal support for torture methods gleaned from communist China has people begging her to run for office."

I am beginning to understand why so many Republicans believe government is evil. When their people are in charge, it becomes that way.

Sigh.

3 comments:

I.A. Dimmwitt, Phd said...

As an environmentalist, I feel that the national parks should be designated as wilderness areas, and people should be prohibited from entering. That would preserve those areas for the animal and plant life that naturally grow there and ensure that those areas will be there for future generations of the animals and plants that naturally grow there.

Of course we will need to increase the amount we spend on these new wilderness areas to make sure that no human can enter. Security must be tight. If people should get inside, it would pollute the wilderness. We mustn't allow that to happen. Ever.

And, if any Republican comes within rifle range of these pristine areas, they must be shot immediately. No second chances. No mistakes allowed. Damn Republicans!

Streak said...

Yeah, that was my point....


Sigh

Anonymous said...

You are right Dimmwit...Damn Republicans. They are ruining America. I am ashamed of the party because they are morally bankupt and don't even know it. That is truly heartbreaking. It is true that pride blinds us from what is really right and true.