January 3, 2004

Happy New Year

So, here we are in 2004. New Years always depress the hell out of me and this one has been no different. Went to a great party the night before and had fun talking to interesting people. But now the celebrations are behind us (especially for a former Baptist.) and the new year stretches ahead. Scarily so, in fact. With Orange warnings and cryptic statements about terrorism. Oh well.

I think I am particularly sensitive to apocalyptic events and statements. Not sure why. I know that belief in the end of the world gives some people comfort to know that God is in control. For me, it does the opposite. I don't believe he is in control, and I suspect that people who do believe that way are too quick to turn their futures (and mine) over to people like GWB in some misguided belief that he is a Godly man who is following the will of God. Perhaps some of those can tell me what GWB has done that reminds them of his favorite philosopher.

Anyway. I will be in a better mood later, I hope. After all, it isn't my first New Year, nor my first one that was scary. I hope you are all well.

No comments: