April 7, 2004

The Dogs That Didn't Bark - Why Colin Powell and George Tenet aren't bashing Richard Clarke. By Fred Kaplan: "Tenet is not the only quiet dog. One of the hounds that the White House did unleash--”Secretary of State Powell”--not only declined to growl, but practically purred like a kitten. Interviewed on Jim Lehrer's NewsHour, Powell said: 'I know Mr. Clarke. I have known him for many, many years. He's a very smart guy. He served his nation very, very well. He's an expert in these matters.' His book 'is not the complete story,' but, Powell added, 'I'm not attributing any bad motives to it.'"

Very interesting little subplot. Two of the people who could have bashed Clarke haven't. Powell and Tenet. Powell's statement is very convincing, and I suspect, right on. I am sure that Clarke has a very one-sided view on this entire affair, and there are other ones. But it does go against the administration's spin and attack machine.

No comments: