November 9, 2009

My Aunt

My aunt passed away yesterday morning. Her passing was not completely unexpected, yet....

Today I am thinking of my mother and her brother for their lost sister. I am thinking of my cousins, and my uncle who lost their mother and wife.

She was a beautiful person and a beautiful soul, and was a gourmet and lover of horses, cats and dogs. But she though was also beset by an awful lot of inner demons. Over the years, those personal demons robbed her of her physical beauty and caused untold problems throughout her life and relationships, but her inner beauty remained. Her battles took a toll on all of us, but more so the closer to the inner circle. I remember her as funny and engaging, and always interested in my life--especially how my pets were doing. :)

I say that her passing was not unexpected. Her health had not been good for years. Yet, after so many phone calls and emails warning us that "she may not make it through the night" her passing yesterday morning surprised me. Those bonus years, I think, were good for her and many of her relationships, however, and I am so glad for them.

I am sad she is gone, and I will miss her.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Jeeze, Streak.

I'm as sorry as I know how to be.
My eldest son's Godmother had a newborn grandchild who passed away this past weekend.
My impotence at helping or making sense shakes me.

What I can offer is that you have touched lives, and in a positive way.

My life has been made richer knowing you. Thanks for being you.

james

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

So sorry to hear this. Your post is a fine tribute to her and what she meant to you.

Let light perpetual shine upon her.

Natalie said...

So sorry to hear of you and your family's loss, Streak.

mary said...

This is a lovely tribute to your aunt, Streak, I'm sure she'd be pleased. It's funny how death always takes us by surprise, no matter how prepared we think we are. Your aunt and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Tony said...

Streak, I am so sorry. Your heart really comes out here and I do know how you feel. Really. Hoping as the moments pass, you learn how to cope and your grieving is fruitful. May her memory sustain you.

Shaun said...

Sorry, Doc. Lost my Dad's only brother a couple weeks ago, after watching 8 of my Mom's 9 brothers and sisters go in the last few years. Strange feeling to be becoming a family elder one death at a time. Best to you and all who loved her.

Monk-in-Training said...

May she rest in peace and rise in Glory everlasting.

leighton said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Brad, for your sweet words about Jean.

Love,
Mom