February 11, 2013

An update on the real world

This has been a rough couple of days.  My mother-in-law passed away last week and we just returned from her memorial service.  I didn't write about it last week--primarily because I was too busy, and also because I kind of enjoyed the distraction of arguing about guns and gun culture.

The service went well and did what those services are supposed to do.  I had major issues with many individual elements (the pastor is a nice guy, but could not stop from preaching rather than talking about my mother-in-law), but appreciate that it was a necessary step toward some kind of process of grieving this loss.

That said, and I think I will write more about this experience, I returned home to see the news that Republican Steve Stockman has invited Ted Nugent to the SOTU speech.  If you want any better example of the destructive culture that I keep trying to describe, look no further.


1 comment:

Tony said...

Some time ago, I made the argument that the current state of "thinking" Christian conservative thought could be aptly described in that U2 frontman Bono was their best spokesperson, certainly then they had lost their way. I like Bono, and still do, but wedding celebrity with the intended purpose of being representative is dangerous and leans toward ideology more so than theology. Ted Nugent? Really? I want to stick my head in a hole. Its like calling Newt to officiate at a marriage seminar.

Anyway, I'm terribly sorry about your mother-in-law. I'm blessed to have a very good relationship with mine; I hope your experience has been the same. I hope you're grieving well, if such a thing can be done well.