November 19, 2003

More on our commenting blogger.

My initial reaction to the comment in my blog was anger. I didn't realize there were rules to blogging. Sometimes it is a way for me to link to news items and give a brief comment. Other times, I want to spend a little more time and flesh out my comments. If our visitor didn't like that, there are numerous other options out there. No need to insult me in the process, but if that makes them feel better, whatever.

But his initial complaint was my lack of analysis (as opposed to his lengthy analysis that he wrote by himself) so here are some thoughts on homosexuality.

The main opposition to gay marriage comes down (as I see it) to three major issues: theological, nature, and sociological.

The theological argument is that God sees homosexuality as an abomination, or as our blogger friend put it, it is against God's law. I don't know about that, since I am really unsure that we can know what God actually thinks. But that is because I don't find the Bible authoritative. I don't see it as some inerrant word of God, but rather as a reflection of man's search for the divine. As such, it offers us great wisdom and beauty, but is not the final authority. So, with those assumptions (and I am clear that they are my assumptions) it is hard for me to see the anti-gay elements of the Bible as rising above an ancient culture.

The second argument I hear most is that homosexuality is unnatural. I understand the argument. After all, the idea of me having sex with another man does strike me as unnatural--for me. But the very concept of what is natural and unnatural is very hard to define. There are numerous things in our modern world that are "unnatural" but that does not necessarily mean they are wrong. Much of modern medicine includes things that are not natural. And it certainly assumes that homosexuality is, in fact, unnatural. Is that based on nature? From that perspective, monogamy is unnatural.

What about sociology? This argument is that gay marriage undermines traditional marriage and ultimately is detrimental to our society. I find this most unconvincing. Conservatives are often very critical of the Kinsey report which argued that 10% of the population was gay. There are numerous legitimate problems with Kinsey, but their complaint on this matter leads us to a problem. If, in fact, as conservatives argue, homosexuals make up a very small portion of the population, then even if they are allowed to marry, how do they overtake all the supposed benefits of the traditional marriage?

Like I said earlier, I think there are far greater challenges to the traditional family than homosexuality. But ultimately, these are my arguments. I make no pretense as having some handle on the Truth. I konw that my gay friends are good people who make good friends, neighbors, and yes parents. I think we are better off with them being who they are rather than forcing themselves into something they aren't. I think we should encourage good people to spread that, rather than focusing on such a small part of their relationship.

But again, that is me.

No comments: