November 5, 2003

Yours truly is feeling a little anxious about Thanksgiving. We will be visiting family and just found out that more family will be there than we initially anticipated. Part of the problem is that we will not be the only democrats, but may easily be the only ones willing to speak up for the cause. History is not great here as well. In these kinds of group dynamics, even well-intentioned discussions can turn sour.

I need to start planning how to manage this. I care very much for all of these people (though all at once is rough!) and like talking to them. I am trying to remember a few swing points (golf term, but helpful as a way to keep one or two key thoughts in mind):

1) Their disapproval of my views (and many will disapprove) is not something I have to carry. They have the right to disagree, but I don't have to take their disapproval personally.

2) It is not my job to change anyone. Not only is it arrogant and self-righteous, it is a fool's errand. In other words, I don't have that ability to change people even if I thought it a good idea.

3) I have the right to express my own thoughts. If the above points are in mind, I can say what I think (with tact, of course) but don't have to worry about anyone finding my ideas offensive or wrong.

Well, I will keep working on it.

No comments: