December 16, 2003

Toby Keith on America

I have tried to find the transcript on the Dan Rather interview, but the only partials I find focus on Toby's dislike of Peter Jennings. I saw part where Toby talked about his faith and how he was a Christian in a world where Jesus was becoming "tragically unhip."

I won't speak to Keith's faith. Who knows what people actually believe. But his songs and actions do not speak to a Christianity founded in anything close to Christian compassion. Sticking "a boot up your ass" isn't in the Bible (unless it is somewhere toward the back), nor is comparing people to a viscious dictator just because they disagree with you. Hell, his breakout song "How do you like me now" is an in your face song that embraces pride and, what can be called, the opposite of turn the other cheek. How does he exemplify Christianity?

Then again, how does Bush?

No comments: