January 6, 2010

on Brit Hume

If you haven't seen Jon Stewart's take on Brit Hume and his comments for Tiger Woods, you can now. Pretty smart stuff. As I told a friend this evening, Hume has every right to speak his mind, but I seriously wonder today if conservative Christians even care how non Christians (or non Conservatives) see them. They don't seem to act as if they care at all. They seem to act as if they are yelling in our face about their faith, and then wondering why we are looking the other direction. In fact, if we object, we are part of the "war on Christianity."

One of our Christmas letters was exactly like that. This from a relative, btw, who dropped me like a bad habit when he found out I was not as concerned about the Boy Scouts and the Gay agenda as he was. Fine. Drop me for my political ideology. But then don't get in my face about your faith when I am pretty damn sure that wasn't exactly in the WWJD territory.

I am again reminded of the Thomas of Assisi quote about always preaching the gospel, "if necessary, use words." Hume and his type seem to reverse that and never demonstrate anything approaching grace. Then he gets mad at me when I object to him lecturing Tiger Woods about a religion that Brit Hume knows nothing about.

Anyway...

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
The Temple of Hume
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorHealth Care Crisis

2 comments:

Becca said...

hilarious... stewart is so funny.

steves said...

I used to think Hume was pretty good, but those comments made me cringe. It would be different if he and Tiger were friends, Tiger asked for advice, and he gave it privately. To do so in the way he did was not the best approach.