January 18, 2010

This is very troubling to me

And perhaps there is something I am missing? TPMMuckraker notes that American soldiers are using rifle scopes inscribed with abbreviated references to bible verses
including lines like "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."

That verse is rendered on tiny letters on the the scopes, made by Wixom, Michigan-based Trijicon, as "2COR4:6" referring to chapter 4, verse 6 of the Second Epistle of Paul to the Corinthians.
So help me out. An American soldier, someplace in country, is lining up an insurgent in their scope, ready to pull the trigger and kill this person, and doing so with a verse suggesting that they do this "for the Glory of God?" Am I the only one who finds that troubling?

4 comments:

steves said...

I'll run it by a few vets I know to see what they think. I am aware of soldiers in past wars and conflicts doing similar things as a reminder or as something to comfort themselves. I am also aware of soldiers personalizing their gear in various ways, so I don't see this as something that necessarily means that the individual is killing for the glory of God.

Streak said...

It isn't new, I agree, though I am not sure the "ready made" Bible verses are standard. But I think it is hard to not see this as God endorsing our side of the battle. And, to be blunt, that is how the terrorists define their fight.

mary said...

I saw that too and was troubled as well. It's a little hard to argue that this is not a crusade when we manufacture our war gear with Bible verses on them.... that's the most troubling thing, that it's not a case of soldiers personalizing standard issue gear, it's a manufacturing specification.

leighton said...

Looks like they claim they'll stop. Doesn't mean they will, but it's a nice nod to civility.