November 7, 2012

Obama wins second term

This election cycle has worn on me.  Perhaps 2008 was harder, I don't know, but watching Paul Ryan preparing to gut the safety net to finance the wealthy class frightened me.  Then there were all the indicators that suggested that Obama would lose, from the economy to the Romney ability to simply lie his way out of any situation.

Yesterday, I prepared for a loss, and so was pretty excited when I saw Obama victories in Pennsylvania.

Watching the two men speak last night, I was reminded of why I like Obama.  Romney said all the things he was supposed to, but I have to say he struck me as a person without a core.  I am not making too much of that concession speech--I think it is hard to speak well in that situation.  But he struck me as someone who just wanted to be President--whatever the voters wanted him to be.  This story struck that chord, with someone who knew what the right thing was, but could not act on it because the base and voters would not reward him for that.  So he chose the wrong way.

Obama, for all his flaws (and there are many) has always struck me as a genuinely compassionate person.  But watching him last night I wondered how it felt differently for him than the last time.  This time he knows full well the weight of the job, and had to return to it this morning.  Like me, I suspect he felt relief.

Who knows what this four years will bring.  I am glad that healthcare is protected for now, and pretty soon, we will see these provisions take place.  Still stunning that Obama could be hated and vilified for wanting to make sure people could hold on to healthcare coverage.  Something very wrong with that.

In other news, we saw the saw shocking erosion into the War on Drugs in Colorado and Washington state.  I am unsure about those changes, but really wonder if part of this is just not a reflection that the war has not worked.  My observations at the music festival a few weeks back confirms that.  But in a much bigger deal, marriage equality (cue the trolls) passed by a popular vote in several states.  As my friend Greg Horton noted on FB, that culture war is over.  The only people who don't realize it are those vested in keeping the anger and hatred stoked at the Family Research Council and other like groups.

I believe that the Republican party leadership sees that, and understands that some of their major planks will only survive in states like mine.  In the rest of the country, those stances will earn them a minority status.  Part of me hopes they continue with the racist madness, but the other part of me hopes that an adult Grownup Republican party returns with a viable and responsible approach to policy.

This blogger stated my hopes for this four years.


We chose health insurance for those who cannot afford it. We chose a softer approach to those seeking a better life within our borders. We chose – at least I hope we did – to begin healing our suffering planet. We chose the candidate who promised to protect the people who didn’t have a seat at the table of power, whose voices struggle to rise above the lobbyists, special interests and money that have flooded our political system.
Almost as important as what we chose is what we rejected.
We rejected a singular focus on cutting help for the poor to boost the incomes of the wealthy. 
For now, I will take solace in the fact that the most cynical campaign of my adult experience lost, and with that the billions spent by the Koch brothers and their ilk.  The battle isn't over, but today feels better than that Wednesday 8 years ago.   Lots to be grateful for today.

12 comments:

steves said...

Who knows what the next 4 years will bring? This is a good question. I have dozens of predictions, dire and hopeful. I don't really have any of my own, but I will admit I am both hopeful and concerned.

As for the War on Drugs, I was pleased that some places took steps towards legalization. Like the other wars, this one is a huge waste of money and resources. Addiction rates have remained stable, while drug enforcement expenditures have skyrocketed. I worked in this field for a while. If we spent 10% of what we spend on enforcement on treatment, you would see addiction rates go down, but it doesn't seem like anyone wants to take this route.

I was disappointed to read that Obama stepped up raids on medical marijuana clinics beyond what even Bush was doing. Clinton, to his credit, was never really interested in going after them.

Anonymous said...

More government spending, more taxes, more borrowing, more debt, more regulations, more abortions, more poverty, more problems, more refusal to deal with the problems, more illegal immigration, more welfare, more food stamps, more bureaucracy, more energy costs, more unemployment, more underemployment, and more queers. And there is probably more than that.

That is what we are in for.

Streak said...

Good God, Gary, you are one dumb troll.

leighton said...

I'm just now getting caught up on the election results after spending most of yesterday sleeping and getting my fever down. Happy about a lot of things. I predict that the claim that Citizens United had very little effect on the election will get a lot of traction in the media. Partly because there are apparently some Republican donors who are very angry that one can't simply buy elections. And partly because media outlets made a ridiculous amount of money selling ads in this cycle, and they now have a vested interest to keep that cash conduit open.

I have a newfound respect for John McCain, not so much for his behavior as a political candidate as how he handled being a POW. I would not have been able to do what he did. Tuesday for election judges was 20 hours of constant frenzied work, and it was somewhere in between hours 16 and 18 that I thought I might vote for Vladimir Putin if he promised me the chance at a nap.

Noah said...

Gary adds so much to every discussion, doesn't he?

leighton said...

A compass that always points south is just as useful if you paint the other end of the needle.

Streak said...

I just realized that Gary said that Obama was going to produce more "queers." A), 1975 called and wants their homophobic slur back, and B), how do we make more gay people? Make everyone watch Modern Family? Perhaps Queer Eye for the Straight Guy reruns?

leighton said...

Or maybe they'll give John Barrowman a primetime show. I prefer women, but dang.

Liz said...

I'm not sure why Gary thinks more queers is a *bad* thing. I live in hope of a queerer world.

In the meantime, tax-payer subsidised cross-dressing gay abortions for everyone!

Anonymous said...

Queers are a bad thing because they are sexual and moral perverts. Inform Liz.

Streak said...

I suspect Gary knows something about perversion.

Noah said...

I suspect Gary knows something about perversion

LOL!!

Those that scream the loudest about something...