August 27, 2004

Via Slacktivist, via Atrios, a transcript from the Daily Show that is funny, yet not funny about how the media operates. And I thought it was the liberals who were dismissed as postmodern idiots who thought that every point of view was equal (ridiculous as that sounds), but it appears that the media loves this point of view. Not because of any philosophical stance, but because actually analyzing the merits of the various arguments takes work. That and they have been so cowed into believing the "liberal media" bullshit they have bent over backward to appear "objective." Anyway.

slacktivist: A dispute: "Monday night's Daily Show had what I thought at the time was a very funny bit with Rob Corddry (transcript via Atrios):


STEWART: Here's what puzzles me most, Rob. John Kerry's record in Vietnam is pretty much right there in the official records of the US military, and haven't been disputed for 35 years?


CORDDRY: That's right, Jon, and that's certainly the spin you'll be hearing coming from the Kerry campaign over the next few days.


STEWART: Th-that's not a spin thing, that's a fact. That's established.


CORDDRY: Exactly, Jon, and that established, incontravertible fact is one side of the story.


STEWART: But that should be -- isn't that the end of the story? I mean, you've seen the records, haven't you? What's your opinion?


CORDDRY: I'm sorry, my *opinion*? No, I don't have 'o-pin-i-ons'. I'm a reporter, Jon, and my job is to spend half the time repeating what one side says, and half the time repeating the other. Little thing called 'objectivity' -- might wanna look it up some day.


STEWART: Doesn't objectivity mean objectively weighing the evidence, and calling out what's credible and what isn't?


CORDDRY: Whoa-ho! Well, well, well -- sounds like someone wants the media to act as a filter! [high-pitched, effeminate] 'Ooh, this allegation is spurious! Upon investigation this claim lacks any basis in reality! Mmm, mmm, mmm.' Listen buddy: not my job to stand between the people talking to me and the people listening to me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's why we love the Daily Show. Funny but sad. You have to laugh, or you'd cry.
Kristen