April 2, 2007

Abstinence? Or scare tactics?

Either way, holy crap! This lady likes to demonstrate pre-marital sex by putting a big chunk of tape on a guy's arm and then yanking it off:
Problem with the kids is they won't yank it off slowly enough at Pandagon: "Miss Tape, all used up by her contact with multiple men, was then dramatically tossed in a trash can to demonstrate the proper use of sexually active women."
As Pandagon suggests, there are numerous similar abstinence teachers out there using pain or disgust to discourage kids from having sex. Make no mistake, I don't mind abstinence taught (alongside other techniques) but don't for an instance think that this kind of approach won't have many unintended consequences. You know, like having kids associate sex with pain or disgust or something otherwise negative. But not to worry, I am sure that when these kids do form sexual unions, they won't have any problem putting people like this woman behind them.

Sigh.

8 comments:

Nicole said...

This is why I will spend my life talking to families, churches, and teens about sexuality in very honest, uncensored ways. I could talk all day everyday, but there will always be sick people like this woman. Sigh.

Streak said...

Nicole, thanks for the comment. I agree. Sexuality is such a complicated issue, it just pains me to see people like this out there with the kids.

leighton said...

New rule: virgins don't get to teach sex ed.

Bootleg Blogger said...

Streako-
Sad thing is that there's possibly some kids in the classroom already feeling "used up" and looking for some compassion somewhere. Great to see an adult coming in and confirming their fears- you're only fit for the trashcan. Why can't I help but think this woman's probably a sunday school teacher somewhere?

Another sad part is that the article says she's getting paid $2,000 per session- WTF??????!!!!!!
Later- BB

Streak said...

BB, I agree completely. I can absolutely see this woman following the Reverend Pendrake model from Little Big Man:

It must be our task...
nay, our Christian duty,...
...to beat the misery out.
I didn't mean beat him literally.
I meant beat him symbolically.


Leighton, that is so damn funny I almost spilled good coffee. Stop that.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I teach Sunday School and I rarely use tape on the kids.

Bootleg Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bootleg Blogger said...

Bootleg Blogger said...
Streak- Little Big Man reference- excellent. Smooth.

Steve- at least it's "rarely":-).
BB