April 27, 2007

Patrick Henry College

An interesting post at Pandagon about the growing college started by Michael Farris. Be warned, this post is rather critical of religious fundamentalism and homeschooling. But read some of the comments and you find some homeschoolers chiming in--pointing out that there are many in the homeschool experience who are very critical of the Reconstructionist and Dominionist theology of Farris.

I have always found Farris questionable, but I am clearly not close to him either theologically or politically.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My feelings on homeschooling has changed drastically since having a child and working as a therapist (my prior career). I had thought that homeschooled kids had serious social problems and would have difficulty functioning in the "real world." I still believe that some do, but many seem to be bright and well prepared for the rest of their lives.

Someone on that thread mentioned that there are many reasons for homeschooling. I worked with a child that had severe AD/HD. He could not function in a traditional classroom and did much better at home. I also know people that do so because of religious reasons, political reasons (both ends of the spectrum), and severe allergies.

I find Farris to be very questionable and would not go to his University. Time will tell how well they do in the private sector.

Tony said...

It was refreshing to read some homeschoolers out there clearly disgruntled about historical revisionism. Most homeschoolers are so quick to jump that band-wagon without reasonable cause or coherent explanation, without even a backward glance at the facts.

I did appreciate what one commenter had to say, though he had to revise the first one, "It should be remembered that home schooling isn’t always wingnut-in-the-making."

Streak said...

Thought you might appreciate that, Tony. :)