April 22, 2007

taxes are not all bad

Neither are government programs. And we might be witnessing the first signs of the cost of Republican rule and the rhetoric of slashing government spending at all cost. Look at this disturbing rise in infant mortality in areas most hurt by cuts in Medicare and welfare.

(H/t to Shaun and recognition, as he puts it, that Bill Clinton signed some of this into law. I would submit that he did so at the behest of pressure from the right, and maybe we do need welfare reform, but I am not sure this is the way to do it.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oops, I think you meant Medicaid, not Medicare. I am generally not a big taxes, big gov't kind of guy, but this area needs to be well funded and effective. There should be no excuses.

Streak said...

I suspect you are right, Steve. I get the two mixed up.