May 14, 2004

Why Liberals Hate Bush

This question has been posed to me several times recently. My first response was that this was begging a question, but think that it is probably accurate. The hatred, it should be noted, is more directed at the policy side rather than the personal. But the question does bother me. My good friend from Wisconsin suggested that Bush had successfully developed a persona (call it Dubya) and used that persona as a political tool. Dubya is "plain-spoken" and a "regular Merican" from West Texas, while the Real Bush is pampered rich kid with access to power and capital that most people could never have. The persona is effective in gathering support from people who really don't benefit from Real Bush's policies, but who share Dubya's dislike of elitists.

But the question is still problematic. "Hating Bush" sounds personal; sounds irrational. It effectively assumes that Liberals wouldn't support this person even if his policies were liberal. So, "why do you hate Bush?" feels like a diversion away from substantive reasons to dislike and disagree with this administration. Do I hate this man personally? I don't know. I do feel a sense of rage when I watch him speak. I watched Bill Kristol on the Daily Show last night, and besides offering the most lukewarm support for Bush, he elicited a great comment from Jon Stewart. Stewart said, (something like)"You know, I want to help, I want to be a positive force, but I get the feeling that Bush doesn't want my help, and doesn't 'care what I think." I think that nails it. Bush rules with an iron fist and a closed mind. He not only doesn't (in my opinion) govern with respect to long term consequences, but he also doesn't care a bit about those who are not in his camp. As far as I can tell, his only response to liberals like me is "who cares what you think?"

But the question remains. Do I hate Bush? Personally? Probably not. I don't find him an interesting person and I don't find him either personally inspiring or engaging. But I do hate his policies and his governing style. I don't think that is irrational, nor do I think it is inappropriate. I think maybe the question should be phrased slightly different: "Why do so many liberals hate this administration's policies? Why is the country so split and so divided under his watch?"

No comments: