June 16, 2004


Yahoo! News - Pistons Rip Lakers 100-87, Win NBA Title
: "Without a superstar among them and without being given much of a chance, the Detroit Pistons humiliated the Los Angeles Lakers 100-87 Tuesday night in Game 5 of the NBA Finals for their first title in 14 years."

I must say this makes me smile a bit. It isn't just that I dislike the Lakers, but more that it makes a nice story that we all like. (And I am very aware of the irony of me cheering for a Rashaad Wallace team.) We like the underdog winning at least some of the time. I also kind of like the fact that the Lakers tried to buy another championship and it really didn't work out--though had Karl Malone been healthy, it might have been a closer series. In the same vein, I am kind of please that my Colorado Avalanche lost early in the playoffs after picking up two of the best scorers in the league. People looked at those pickups very similarly to the additions of Malone and Gary Payton to the Lakers. In both cases, we learned that in professional sports, players are not "plug and play." I like that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are wrong. -- Warm and Swimming in Covelo

Streak said...

Warm and Swimming in Covelo is a Lakers fan. Poor bastard.