December 9, 2005

CS Lewis

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe opens today and I am really kind of torn. I read those books when I was a kid and really liked this particular one. The rest of the series kind of bugged me, but I liked the first book a lot. And later I read more of his science fiction. I read Tolkien during that time too, and loved the Hobbit. I find, however, that I am alone among most people in that while I enjoyed the first two books of the trilogy, I really never enjoyed the last one. My experience with the movie was the same way. I felt like Seinfeld's Elaine watching that desert movie and started to imagine Rick Moranis as Frodo wearing a hockey helmet. Perhaps it is my historical background and interest in film and culture, but I couldn't watch that trilogy without seeing it as a nostalgic agrarian protest against industrialization. And the battle scenes just wore me down.

Yesterday, I broke my vow and listened to Christian radio during some errands around town. I never feel good when I do, but it is sometimes a strange urge. Chuck Colson (who I used to have a small amount of respect for but now can't stand) pontificated on the new CS Lewis movie. In fact, everywhere on Christian radio was the discussion about the film. And that is fine, but like so much of our cultural landscape (patriotism, Christmas, morality, family), Christian conservatives don't own CS Lewis. Or Tolkien. But that is how it feels when they talk about it. Christmas is practiced wrongly by everyone except those who return the "reason for the season," (whatever that means). Only Christian conservatives care about morality and family. And CS Lewis becomes a Chuck Colson clone.

So, I don't know what I will do about this film. I still haven't seen Mel's Passion and probably won't. I certainly won't go see this film on opening weekend.

Anyway.....

5 comments:

Bootleg Blogger said...

Streak
Go to the movie. For two and a half hours don't even consider if it has any other meaning. Take it as fantasy. Pretend for a while that there ARE centaurs, talking beavers, and noble lions. AND what IF on this cold December day you opened up a closet in your house to find the broom and as you moved toward the back of the closet you felt snow under your feet..... In other words, have some fun.

In my opinion Colson claims Lewis because of the "Christian" label and the wide acceptance of this movie. I don't think he'd be quite so eager if the discussion got deeper into Lewis' theological positions on a number of issues.

As far as the Lord of the Rings goes, (brief moment of silence with head bowed), you ARE truly lost. I am usually loathe to make such judgements about another's eternal soul, but you are clearly not a true believer. Enjoy eternity with Sauron and Morgoth as your tormentors! For me, I plan to start reading the trilogy to my daughter this holiday, probably from the same copies I first read from as a child some thirty years ago.

Later
BB

P M Prescott said...

I agree with Bootleg here, enjoy the story and get lost in the fantasy. Actually Tolkien, Lewis and it's carried on in the Star Wars stories reflect Zoroastrianism more that Christianity.

Streak said...

I still think I will wait until later to see the film. Mostly because I really don't enjoy the theater experience that much.

BB, I am well aware that my views on the LOTR trilogy are not widely accepted. I have been amused to see people's response to my assessment of the third (what was it? 6 hours long?) film. How about I reassess it?

The third film could have used a lunch break. :)

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

This is all good advice. See the movie if you want to. And for God's sake (literally), stay away from the so-called Christian radio.

This movie is less about the evangelical "market" than the buzz would have you think, and even less than the evangelicals want to think. It's all about money. The industry looked at the success of Harry Potter, LOTR, and the new technical capabilities of film and wondered, "What else can we get out of this? Hmmm. These books might work. And there's a bunch of them, too. Instant serie$ franchi$e."

But I agree with you about not needing to see it with the opening crowds. Just as with Harry Potter, LOTR, and even the recent Star Wars movie, there will be parents taking their kids expecting a couple of hours of babysitting only to find that they've sowed the seeds for nightmares.

And I also agree with you about LOTR. Not my thing. Sorry, guys.

Deacon Tim said...

Streak, I'm with you on the LOTR films, but Disney did this one right: the Narnia stories are stories for kids first, and Disney did not create three hour battle scenes that only made me want to get up and pee more often than my 51 year-old-bladder really needed. I loved the Narnia books and I loved the movie. See it on the big screen, next weekend.