December 26, 2005

Ok, a little levity

We didn't spend all of Christmas wondering why GWB was eroding our civil liberties. Nope. We also watched some films and listened to some music. Last evening we watched Best in Show, one of my very favorite films. We noticed funny parts that had eluded us, including the high strung owner (husband part of the uptight yuppy team with the Weimaraner) yelling at his dog, "Look at me. Don't look at the fat ass losers or freaks, look at me!"

Tonight we watched a Steve Earle dvd (Just an American Boy) and enjoyed ourselves. Great shots of Earle behind the scenes, and a great little mini-interview with Nora Guthrie talking about bursting into tears the first time she heard "Christmas in Washington" where Steve sings, "Bring back Woody Guthrie." Hell, we burst into tears too.

We enjoyed some classic scenes of him playing our favorite songs: "Copperhead Road" and "Amerika 6.0," and "Guitar Town" but really enjoyed seeing the video for "Jerusalem." I have sung his praises before, but Steve Earle really is a great singer/songwriter/patriot/activist. He is on the list of people I would love to sit down and have coffee with.

That I believe that one fine day all the children of Abraham
Will lay down their swords forever in Jerusalem

Well maybe I'm only dreamin' and maybe I'm just a fool
But I don't remember learnin' how to hate in Sunday school
But somewhere along the way I strayed and I never looked back again
But I still find some comfort now and then




No comments: