June 27, 2008

Friday stuff

I have been slow to blog this week. Not sure why.

Anyway, this afternoon, SOF and I took a run around town to do some errands. While listening to NPR, we heard this story about Obama and Clinton campaigning together in New Hampshire. I have been impressed with Hillary here and think that she absolutely has something to contribute. And I hope that she ends up in the Cabinet, btw. I don't want her as VP, but think she would be a great Secretary of, well, just about anything.

But during the story, we heard about the numbers (at least in NH) of former Clinton supporters considering voting for McCain instead. Hillary spoke on this:
"She also addressed the Democratic Party's fractured state, saying, 'If you are considering not voting or voting for John McCain, I strongly urge you to reconsider.'"
I would speak even stronger. Any Democrat who thought Hillary was a good idea, who could then switch and vote for McCain is, well, mentally challenged. I understand being stung by the primary (though much of that was your own candidate's doing), and can certainly respect how painful it is to lose.

But to vote for McCain out of spite? That is just stupid. It is one thing to resent Obama for the primary, but to foist more Republican rule on us out of spite is not responsible politics.

*****

Speaking of responsible politics, seems like just about every day we learn more about how irresponsible this administration has been. Yesterday, after my guitar lesson, I heard this Daniel Schorr editorial on the politicization of the Justice department under this administration. After hearing numerous conservatives tell me nothing happened of import during the US Attorney scandal, I was reminded of just how bad these people have been on our system.

Turns out they--in direct violation of federal law, no less--filtered candidates based on their political leanings. Applicants were scrutinized for their loyalty to the Republican party. Essays with words like "Social justice" or "environmental justice" were kicked out of the search. Applicants who dared to have joined Greenpeace found themselves on the outs as well. Reminds me very much of Rajiv Chandrasekaran's reporting on the Iraqi reconstruction, where we learned that Bush people filtered applicants to work in Iraq based on who they voted for in 2000 and where they stood on Roe v. Wade.

I think McCain would be better than that. Of course, an inanimate carbon rod would be better than that. But I really don't know which McCain is running. I don't know if the one who thought Falwell was an "agent of intolerance," or the one who rushed to speak at his "university" is running. Bush has lowered the bar so much that I fear we could do better with anyone off the street, but that level of improvement might not be enough.

No comments: