June 8, 2008

Historic

I heard part of yesterday's Hillary speech, and what I heard sounded really good. As frustrated as I became with her, I do have tremendous respect for her ability, and also for the historic nature of her campaign. We really did get to a point where the bulk of the discussion about her were not about gender.

And yesterday, she did what many of us thought was impossible. She endorsed Obama and pledged to fight for him.

Speaking of Hillary, I used to listen to Christian radio during the Clinton years. I carpooled with a friend who liked such fare and found myself returning to it (until, as readers here will remember, I replaced my old truck and started driving a car with a cd player. Only then did I stop listening to Dobson and others on the road).

As bizarre as it was during the Bush years to listen to these people, you should have heard them during the Clinton years. Tony found this great list of religious right conspiracy theories. My favorite from the list--besides Jack Van Impe suggesting that the UN had secret signs on the back of Interstate signs telling them the location of believers, or the more serious role that Jerry Falwell played during Civil Rights--is about Hillary. Texe Marrs (yep, that is how he spells "Tex") argued that Hillary was in a lesbian conspiracy with Janet Reno. As I recall, Marrs referred to Hillary as a "lesbian marxist."

All of these conspiracies are funny, sad and disturbing. And the fact that these paranoid ramblings became part of the evangelical political discourse is shameful for those who should know better.

But back to me.

As my good friends know, I often dream about famous people. I have met Bill Clinton, Neil Young, Emmylou Harris in dreams. In another, I chased Manuel Noriega on a motorcycle.

Well, last night, I dreamt I was in a huge ballroom and sitting at the table behind me was Barack Obama. At one point in the dream, my table mates have left me (I don't know who they were or how I drove them away) and Obama ends up at my table. He shook my hand and thanked me again for coming. :) I then asked him how he could keep up with the campaign schedule, and then asked him about this real story where he had to convince his Iowa fundraisers to not panic early in the campaign. He was amazingly gracious in my dream. So there.

Later in that same dream, I also met Tony in person. In my dream, he had written a book and I took it up to him for him to sign. He signed it to the wrong name.

Thanks a lot, Tony!

5 comments:

Becca said...

I too liked her speech, I just wish she would have done it a month ago. I'm still concerned she may have caused too much damage -- hopefully I'm wrong. The other thing that concerns me, is whether Obama can really deliver, it's going to be a crazy 5 months. I just woke up and read your blog -- it made me laugh, because I slept so hard I don't remember dreaming about anything...

Streak said...

firefly, welcome (your first comment here? at least under this name?)

The threat of Hillary's damage is still out there, I agree. The Daily Show had a bit on one of the correspondents attending her Tuesday night speech, and a common refrain from her hardcore supporters was the idea that Obama was "stealing" the nomination.

The good news, as far as I am concerned, is that Hillary's graceless response on Tuesday, added to her shilling for the VP, was clearly harming her and she realized that. The push for yesterday's speech came from the inside of her campaign, and from many of her superdelegate supporters. That is a good sign.

The other good news is just how professional and calm the Obama campaign has been. And no one can say that his campaign staff hasn't been tested. When the right wing machine starts up, they will not be attacking some wilting flower. I also admire his patience and composure. Despite some "kitchen sink" attacks, he didn't veer off message or over-react. That will serve him well this fall.

I ultimately take some solace from the idea that the American people have been beaten to a pulp by Rove's tactics and they are not responding the way they used to. After all, despite the Jeremiah Wright story on every newscast, Obama nearly won Indiana.

Anyway. Thanks for dropping in.

Tony said...

You dreamed I wrote a book? That's assuming anyone would want to listen to what I have to say. What color is the sky in Streak's World anyway?

Streak said...

Remember. This is the same dream world where I rub shoulders with celebrities and chase dictators on a motorcycle. That is the color of the sky in Streak's world. :)

steves said...

The UN messages on the back of interstate signs is less of a Christian conspiracy and more of tin foil hat militia theory. They also contain information on how to get to the secret detention camps.