June 24, 2008

Tuesday morning

And just a few items.

First, I was sad to see yesterday the passing of comedian George Carlin. I was not a huge fan, but appreciated his originality and intelligence.

****

This is not a dream blog, but my dreams have been interesting of late. A while ago, I dreamt I met Obama. Last night, I dreamt that I was at a film screening for John McCain and even gave him some tips on how to be funny. At the table, I was seated across from Cindy McCain, though I was facing away from her and she annoyed me.

I have no idea what that dream means. But the night before saw a recurring dream that I often have over the summer. During this dream, I am meeting my class for the first time. It is a class I have taught numerous times, and in my dream, that appears to be the problem.

I show up with no notes, no syllabus, and no plan. During this particular version of it, students kept getting up and walking out, and several of the senior tenured professors came in to observe. I also remember thinking that this event was a lot like one of my dreams.... I know that this means that I need to get some work done for the fall, but this seems a little early in the summer for this particular stress dream.

****

Just saw this morning that James Dobson accused Obama of "distorting" the Bible:
"'I think he's deliberately distorting the traditional understanding of the Bible to fit his own worldview, his own confused theology,' Dobson said."
If only Boss Dobson recognized his own distortions, his criticisms of Obama might have credibility. I am reminded of his own hubris here:
GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: Dr. Dobson, ...in the Daily Oklahoman, [you were] quoted saying, "Patrick Leahy is a God's people hater. I don't know if he hates God, but he hates God's people." Now, Dr. Dobson, that doesn't sound like a particularly Christian thing to say. Do you think you owe Senator Leahy an apology?
DR JAMES DOBSON: George, you think you ought to lecture me on what a Christian is all about? You know, I think -I think I'll stand by the things I have said. Patrick Leahy has been in opposition to most of the things that I believe. He is the one that took the reference to God out of the oath.


*****

I posted last week on some of the music I am listening to from 2008 and meant to note some forthcoming releases. Today, in fact, Alejandro Escovedo releases "Real Animal." I have been looking forward to this for a while and plan on picking it up later today.

July 15th will see the release of The Hold Steady's new album ("Stay Positive") of which I am hearing some good buzz. Their last two albums were pretty impressive, though I will admit to hating them at first. :)

Any other new ones I am missing right now? And this is not music, but I was elated to see that the first season of Get Smart will be released on DVD August 5! I haven't seen the new movie yet, but have always loved the original series. I still refer to the "Cone of Silence" when I am discussing something that should be kept private.

6 comments:

WEB SHERIFF said...

WEB SHERIFF
Protecting Your Rights on the Internet
Tel 44-(0)208-323 8013
Fax 44-(0)208 323 8080
websheriff@websheriff.com
www.websheriff.com

Hi Streak,

On behalf of Rough Trade / Beggars Digital, Vagrant and The Hold Steady, many thanks for plugging "Stay Positive" (street date 14th July and advance, digital release date 9th June) ... .. thanks, also, on behalf of the label and the band for not posting any pirate links to unreleased (studio) material and, if your readers want good quality, non-pirated, preview tracks, “Sequestered in Memphis” is available for fans and bloggers to stream / link to / post etc on the band’s MySpace ... .. check-out http://www.myspace.com/theholdsteady and http://www.theholdsteady.com for details on “Stay Positive” and the band’s 2008 shows ... .. for a limited period a play-through of “Stay Positive” shall also be available on the band’s MySpace and on NME (http://www.nme.com), although these are for promotional purposes only and the artist and labels have kindly asked fans and bloggers not to host or link to pirate copies of the full album on-line – for which many thanks in advance.

Thanks again for your plug.

Regards,

WEB SHERIFF

Streak said...

So where is my free legal copy? After all, I have plugged the album for The Hold Steady....

leighton said...

Cindy McCain, annoying? I can't imagine why.

My boss invokes the Cone of Silence when he's reminding us of client-attorney confidentiality.

JMG said...

Do you have the dream where you forget to go to class all semester? Or the one where you show up on the first day only to realize that you're a week late?

Anonymous said...

Or what about the dream where you move halfway across the country for grad school then completely forget your very first seminar because the Bears were on Monday Night Football? Was that just me? I woke up the next morning and realized it wasn't a dream.

Streak said...

Ubub, I don't think I ever heard that story.

JMG, my stress dream is pretty consistently this one. when I was studying for my general exams, I had one where I was walking with my advisor in the lobby of the building. Around people he was all smiles and saying I did well. In the elevator, he turned to me and said, "what in the hell were you thinking?"

Leighton, I love that the Cone has made such an impact in our culture. My favorite one, btw, was the portable one that Max and the Chief put on in the field once. The had to shoot it off.

Of course, not sure it is the best way to refer to confidentiality when the Cone never really worked...