June 4, 2008

Open letter to Hillary Clinton

(Because, of course, she reads this blog).

Dear Senator Clinton,

You have no idea how often I have defended you and your husband in the past. I stood and argued with those who advocated impeachment for what I still believe was a private failing. I defended you when you identified that "vast right wing conspiracy" against you and your husband. I winced when your husband's personal problem came to light, and when he parsed the meaning of "is." I threw up a little in my mouth when he pardoned Marc Rich and others.

But I defended you both against the right wing echo machine. I said you weren't that bad. Watching the current president mumble and drawl, I often said (along with millions), "I miss Bill." When you first started your run, I argued with those who said you were scary from the right, and unelectable from the left. I suggested that there was a measure of misogyny involved in criticisms of you. When Andrew Sullivan referred to you both as power hungry sociopaths, I argued back.

But like this reader email to Sully, I have to now backtrack. Watching you refuse to concede when Obama locked up the delegates needed was painful. Almost as painful as watching you encourage white racism in our own party. Almost as painful as watching Bill go from statesman to race-baiting political thug in a matter of months. Almost as painful as your spinning the popular vote and changing rules in midstream. Almost.

I am done defending you. And you need to go back to the Senate and figure out some plan of atoning for what you have done to our party and our nation. Unfortunately, I have no good faith belief that you have any concern for anything beyond your own power and you will pursue that regardless of the damage to the Democratic party or the potential of giving us four more years of disastrous policy.

Sigh

15 comments:

P M Prescott said...

Too many people are thinking that Obama/Hillaary is the dream ticket. I think she's too much of a lightening rod. She has definitely shown that she's not a class act.

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

I don't know anyone (who isn't a Republican) who wants Clinton on the ticket. The Democratic Party dodged a bullet by not making her the nominee, and to put her on the VP ticket would continue the downward spiral. Hillary: It's over. Move on.

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

One more thing: Yesterday, when all the talk was of the concession speech that was forthcoming that evening, I told my wife that Hillary was probably about to concede. My wife's reply: "I'll believe it when I hear it."

Anonymous said...

I am not in the least surprised that she didn't concede. She is stubborn, conceited, and feels she is entitled to the nomination. She's more interested in personal gain and prestige than in party unity and putting together a successful campaign to get the Republicans out of White House control. Watching her speech last night was truly sickening, and goes right to the heart of the problem with US politics today.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize Hillary was a regular reader -- I thought maybe that was just another of Gary's aliases or something.

She asked us to write to her campaign through her website last night, so I did. I identified myself as a "hard-working American" and told her that I was disappointed in the tone of her campaign, her use of coded language, etc, and that I had expected so much more and so much better because she had done better in the past. I called upon her to use her considerable leadership skills and formidable campaign organization to unite the party behind Barack Obama, who "as far as I know" is the nominee.

I also asked what kind of donuts she likes best. (ok, not really).

Damn it was good, I should have saved a copy for myself.

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

Hillary Clinton=Ralph Nader

leighton said...

If I wrote to Hillary, it would look something like this:

GOOOOOOO AWAAAAAAAAAAY

Give it a few days and I'll be able to say something more articulate. For instance:

No, srsly. GOOOOOO AWAAAAAAAAAAY

Anonymous said...

Leighton, I hope you will write to her. I have a couple of other suggestions, including --

"Greetings, Senator! All your delegates are belong to us!"

There was another internet cliche floating around this morning. It's a photo of Obama at Xcel Energy Center with the caption, "im in ur base killin ur doodz!"

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

ubub: Well done on the "all your base" reference! Haven't heard that one in a while, and it gave me a good laugh.

leighton said...

For great elections, take off every Zig

Anonymous said...

Hillary for Vice President.

Streak said...

Thanks for coming by, Hillary. So glad you are reading the blog from your bunker.

Read Leighton's response.

steves said...

I thought that was a very well written letter that addresses all of the key issues. I was never a fan of the Clintons in the 90's, but I softened towards Hillary and really thought she could be a decent choice. I now like her even less than I did a decade ago.

Anonymous said...

As long as it makes my buddies laugh, here's another one . . .

Benny Lava for Vice President!

Tony said...

I am with Steve here--good letter, Streak. I have been sympathetic for her up until now.

And Senator, if you are reading, it would behoove you to become a Streak's Blog reader. Anybody who's anybody reads and participates here. It is a fun blog, after all.