December 16, 2004

Air America might have something going for it after all

The Original Unofficial Steve Earle Site

I have not thought well of Air America even though I certainly share more of their political views than I do with fat boy over on the EIB network (or whatever it is called). (Speaking of which, Jon Stewart showed a clip of Jerry Falwell last night and I think he has turned into either Jabba the Hut or his own Fast Food Nation!) I don't like the style of talk radio regardless of the content and wish we could go back to a day when stations had to balance their content.

But, I found this thanks to Jeanne over at Body and Soul. I am a big huge Steve Earle fan and think that Transcendental Blues is one of my all-time favorite albums. I also appreciate his politics and his dedication to fighting the death penalty. Well, Air America gave him a weekly radio show to talk music and politics. As Steve put it: "Oh my God, what is the world coming to? They're giving commie hillbillies radio shows." Many of his shows are available in mp3 format here. I listened to the show with Emmylou Harris (another favorite) and heard her talk about the protest music that informed her own career. Very nice, and some great music. From the Byrds "Turn, Turn, Turn" to a really biting song by Kris Kristopherson, to a Woody song I had forgotten about a plane wreck carrying migrant workers.
Is this the best way we can grow our big orchards?
Is this the best way we can grow our good fruit?
To die like the dry leaves and rot on my topsoil
And be known by no name except "deportee."

No comments: