December 27, 2004

Democracy may not work very well

Some of you will remember this post where I wrote a letter to my congressman regarding the CRA. Well, he wrote me back. I opened it with a certain anticipation--remembering a similar letter I got from Don Nickles that was surprisingly responsive and decent. Well, Tom Cole wrote a letter about CHANGES TO ETHICS RULES. That's right, he responded to a concerned letter about red-lining with a justification for his support for Tom Delay. This doesn't make me think too highly of our democracy.

I know, I know. It wasn't Representative Cole. it was one of his idiot staffers. But think about it. Some Poli Sci major read a hand-written letter about access to capital and thought, "I don't know what this is about, so I will just send our form letter about Tom Delay." Which is worse? Our education system that provides the idiot staffers for these geniuses? Or the geniuses that make up our elected officials?

I am saying it is a push.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As if I didn't have enough distrust in our politicians already...

Adam

Streak said...

Abdul-Salaam, there really isn't much to tell. The letter was a boilerplate defense of the GOP decision to change the rules to help Delay out.

Adam, I think this is really not a trust issue, but a competence issue. Not sure that really makes a difference. Conservatives have a real bind--they badmouth and trash government, and then wonder why we have so few people (good people) willing to work for the public good.

We need an old fashioned call to service.