December 19, 2004

To: Conservative Christians. RE: WWJD? CC: Your Conscience

Streak's friend L reminded me of this. She was so mad she was nearly in tears. Me too. Most of my adult life I have been lectured by conservative Christians about morality--mostly from the perspective that their belief in the Bible and their stance on abortion and homosexuality was moral, and my hippie friends were taking our country to hell. Well, the next conservative Christian who lectures me on morality better be wearing a mouth guard.

Case in point. Race in America. Conservative baptists like to talk about their racial sensitivity now. Richard Land brags about his support of the SBC apology on race in 1995. Nevermind that when civil rights workers were dying over race, these same smug bastards were in support of segregation. Nevermind that the entire SBC came into existence because of their support for slavery. Nevermind that even when my friends grudgingly acknowledged that segregation was wrong, they still clung to their opposition of interracial relationships.

Well now we have something is really about economics. You know, putting your money where your mouth is? From Bruce Prescott's fine blog is this story about redlining. Please read it. For those who didn't know, banks used to practice red-lining quite widely. This excluded certain neighborhoods and people from credit. Remember your President Jesus? Well, his administration--deeply steeped in their Christian faith, remember--is now trying to undermine the government efforts to curtail this racist and evil policy.

"In October, a set of proposals by Bush administration appointees threatened to raise the minimum asset level of banks before they are required to participate to $1 billion, up from $250 million, freeing nearly 90 percent of all banks from complying with CRA. For leaving working-class Americans completely on their own, this proposal earns a place in this year's 'Worst of Public Policy.'"


That's right. Mr. Bush and his "very important faith" is trying to make it harder for poor people to get access to credit. Yeah, the same president who has been talking nonstop about the "ownership" society where he wants to encourage home ownership. He must mean for his friends in the wealthier suburbs.

Here is a news flash. This isn't Christian. Not even close. This is easy. No deep philosophical discussions about when life begins or whether your sex inclination is inborn or learned. Simply about access to the American dream. Is your adoration of the market so deep that you really think that racist bankers will extend credit to these people of color on their own?

You voted for him. You told me he was a good Christian man. You assured me that you hated racism and that my cynicism of the suburban church was unwarranted. Read this story and tell me that this is Christian. I dare you. Justify this by any moral standard that wouldn't make the Klan proud.

But Streak, you say. Unlike liberal blogging dogs, I don't have access to the policy makers. What kind of magic can I do? I live in a red state and these things aren't going to change. What can I do?

Write a letter to your congressman. Not an email. Not a form letter. Take out a pen and piece of paper. Right now. I am going to do it as I finish this blog, and I am going to do it in a very old fashioned way, with my Cross fountain pen given to me by my Anglican friend. But I don't know who my congressperson is, you say? I could be really derisive and point out that you have no difficulty finding a theater showing Mel Gibson's snuff film, so I think you can find your congressperson if you want. Go here and put in your zip code. Then write that name down and go to the link for representative offices. Find this person's name and then their address. Mine is Tom Cole from Oklahoma.

But what do I say? Here is what I just wrote:
December 19, 2004

Dear Representative Cole,

I recently read about efforts by the Bush administration to adjust the CRA (Community Reinvestment Act) provisions to let 90% of the lenders off the hook in their efforts to extend credit to the poor. Need I remind you of the irony of the President's push for an "ownership society" while removing some of the access needed?
Nor should I have to remind you of the horrible legacy of racism in this country. We can do better. Please do what you can.

Streak

3 comments:

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

That's nice looking fountain pen in the upper left of the picture. It's mightier than the sword.

Keep hope alive!

Anonymous said...

I will write soon!

Brandon

Natalie said...

Thanks for alerting me about this...Tom Cole is also my congressperson, and he and his staff have been getting familiar with me, too!