December 4, 2004

Bring back the public stocks

I don't mean trading IBM openly. I mean the puritan's choice for public humiliation. Seriously. Now.

Why? I will tell you why.

This has happened most at Starbucks. They have a handicapped parking space (actually 2) out front. In the civilized world, we recognize that there are some people who need the access. It is not a big thing for the rest of us to walk the extra 50 feet--especially in Oklahoma where parking is plentiful.

But not everyone abides by that. At the Starbucks we frequent, I have seen this occurrence at least three times. Two times it is the same rich woman driving a big-ass luxury SUV. She keeps the engine running with her rich bitch friend sitting in the passenger seat while rich bitch number 1 goes in to get her coffee. I guess in her mind since she is idling, she doesn't have to worry about taking up space in the handicapped spot. Yesterday, at the beginning of a rather frustrating day, I see another woman just pull into the spot. I glance for the sticker or tag. I even walk around to the back of her car while we are waiting to see if I am missing something. She is large, grant you, even fat-ass as she orders her Carmel Machiatto (that has more sugar in it), but hardly handicapped. I wanted to say something, but also didn't want to make a scene.

Here is my plan. I will print up some stickers for "tagging" (like the fake tickets for SUV drivers) the back of people's car. It should say something like "I park in Handicapped spots, because I am an asshole." or "I park in Handicapped spots because the world truly revolves around me." Maybe just a simple "I hate the handicapped and will take their parking spaces."

I know, I know, this is a dangerous plan. What if someone has a legit permit but isn't displaying it that day? I am not sure I want to actually do this, but it just makes me angry. The biggest problem I see with today's society is the inability to consider how another person experiences their world. That is the problem with homophobia, racism, dismissal of the poor, etc. And if you cannot have compassion for someone who has a real physical handicap, then you better take that fucking fish off your bumper!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT idea, Streak!!!! And if you see them get out of the car and walk in un-handicapped, then I say it is safe to use the sticker!

Kristen

Nettie said...

Ouch!

Streak said...

That is what really gets me. For those of us who do not qualify for the sticker and shouldn't have one, parking a short distance away is of no consequence to us. For those who really need it, it is a huge issue. 20 extra feet or no room to use a wheelchair lift is a big deal.

And here is the bottom line. If you will park in a handicapped space because of laziness, you don't care about other people. If you can't muster consideration for someone in a wheelchair, how can you have consideration for your co-worker, or your co-citizen?