December 13, 2004


Yahoo! News - Wal-Mart Sued Over Evanescence Lyrics
: "The complaint, filed Thursday in Washington County Circuit Court, seeks an order requiring Wal-Mart to either censor or remove the music from its Maryland stores. It also seeks damages of up to $74,500 for each of the thousands of people who bought the music at Wal-Marts in Maryland.

'I don't want any other families to get this, expecting it to be clean. It needs to be removed from the shelves to prevent other children from hearing it,' said plaintiff Trevin Skeens of Brownsville."

That's right. They are suing because of the f-word! Forget suing over the kids that work to manufacture Walmart's cheap crap. Forget worrying about the environmental damage that is harming your kid's future and health. You will sue over the fucking f-word! Are you kidding me? But hey, if they were able to score 75,000 because their poor stupid kid was exposed to the f-word, shouldn't they? I am sure their kid has never heard that word before!

This pretty much seals the deal on how stupid people are. Not that I had any doubts, but good holy god!

3 comments:

Streak said...

Yeah, this doesn't make much sense. I hadn't thought of this as a frivolous lawsuit, but you make a good point. I wonder if this is what Bush was talking about during the election? Probably not.

Streak said...

Leighton, thanks for your comments. Drop me an email sometime so I can contact you.

Streak said...

Chloe,

Thanks for your comments. Trust me, no one dislikes Walmart more than me. I can't stand shopping there and only do so when there is no other alternative. I am not defending Walmart at all, but I do find this lawsuit specious. You argue that Walmart falsely presents itself as conservative and pro-family. I agree. They do not make things better for families, but I am not aware of a legal standard that allows us to sue a corporation for presenting itself as something it isn't.

There are numerous reasons to go after Walmart. Their glass ceiling policy toward women, their horrible record of mistreating and exploiting workers, and I think their unfair business practices when dealing with suppliers. But selling a cd with the f-word doesn't qualify. The perfect response to the cd would be to not shop there. But then again, I think that is the bottom line response to Walmart anyway.