October 6, 2005

FWIW

Today I felt a need to do something. So I called the offices of my representative and two senators. I asked both senators (well, their staffers, actually) why they chose to vote against John McCain's anti-torture amendment. Tom Coburn's office was clueless--which doesn't make me feel any better about him. I left a comment asking how a physician and supposed Christian could endorse torture. Jim Inhoffe's office had a pat answer about how the bill would publish our interrogation techniques, but the nice lady assured me that Inhofe in no way sanctioned torture. I wish I believed that.

I called my representative to ask how he was going to respond to the Delay indictment. After talking to a clueless woman (she was new) I spoke to someone who explained that any money from Delay's PAC had already been spent, and that since my rep sits on the ethics committee, he could not comment on the indictment. I told him that I urged the congressman to take ethics very seriously and reminded him that when the Republicans took over congress, they did so with a lot of scorn at the Democratic corruption and ethics scandals. I said it seemed to me that Chris Shays was correct in noting that the Republicans had proven themselves just as corrupt--and in a faster time span.

Oh well, it is something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that you followed up with your Senators, Streak. Sadly, OK had the dubious distinction of being the only state with two no votes.

While their responses were ultimately discouraging, I think it's important to let our representatives know when they're representing us poorly.

GreenSmile said...

Inhofe thinks science fiction writers are the best judges of whether there is in fact global warming afoot. My condolences.