March 1, 2006

Fascism

Not Bush, though his administration scares me. The RIAA has already forced Aquarium Drunkard to take down the Ryan Adams links. Music that had never been released. No option to buy it legally. But the jack-booted thugs at RIAA have spoken.

Whatever. And I don't know what happened to the autistic basketball player video. It wasn't there when we tried it yesterday.

******

I received an email--one of those "pass-ons" that said that the flag-folding ceremony for military funerals was mostly religious/political symbolism. (Snopes debunks it here.)

It has really depressed me in a way that surprised me. I am kind of used to it, but still.....

The worst part was the fifth fold: "a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our Country, in dealing with other countries may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong."

Read the rest of it. I don't think I can any longer.

Why does this stuff bother me?

******

Music. My church.

Before the fascists took it down, the Ryan Adams song "Cracks in a Photograph" captured my imagination. Flawed recording, but amazing guitar and vocals. Simple and just great. Couple of great lines:

If I could tell you something, I would tell you it all
But I don't know anything anymore


and

Ladies in the corner want to borrow your smokes
As if returning 'em would do any good


I know Adams is an ass, but he can certainly write.

No comments: