March 3, 2006

Friday morning frustrations

I see this week that the President's approval ratings have fallen to an all-time low of 34 percent. I am still a little amazed that 34 percent of the people would say he is doing a good job--though among the BushChristianRepubs, loyalty is absolute. Let's review:

1) Videos released confirm what we knew last August--the President was disengaged and incompetent. He did know about the threat of flooding before hand. He is now saying that there was bad communication on the ground in NO, when clearly the communication problems were all inside the White House.

2) Iraq is slowly descending into what critics warned of--what W's father wanted to avoid--in trying to talk our ignorant President out of this war. They said that the ethnic and religious rivalries would produce civil war. They said that our removal of a brutal, but effective regime, would destabalize the region. Forget all about WMD, or even the White House's claim that "no one anticipated outside insurgents." Just recognize that the very idea of forcing democracy on a people is ridiculous.

3) Oh, and let's not forget that our Bible-waving president promised to act with both compassion and morality. Last I checked, he hasn't done either. Not only is he trying to pay for tax cuts on the backs of foster children and the disabled poor, but he has refused to act honorably or honestly. The Jack Abramoff scandal, Scooter Libby, and of course, the every day actions of Karl Rove effectively make this administration one of the more ruthless and corrupt in our history.

****

Of course one of the main issues behind the President's support is the hope among conservatives that Bush would end abortion, and roll back any gains by gays and lesbians.

Samuel Alito's nomination to the court certainly suggests they are getting what they want. Let me say that abortion is one of those trouble spots for me. I am not a supporter, but neither am I positive this is a role for the state.

But this bothers me. James Dobson's arrogance is palpable, and the fact that a new Supreme Court justice plays to this man is not a good sign.

****

As I end this rant, let me say that I am really not sure what to make of the entire Port deal. It is one of those issues that is causing the Pres problems among his own people, and certainly contributing to his poll slip. And I don't know that that is deserved. I am not reading that there is substantial threat to our security from this deal. I am concerned that the opposition to this deal is more racism on the American part. I think democrats have to be careful on this issue, but this is also really Bush's fault. When you frame things in black/white issues, there is very little room for gray. This is a gray area--as are most of our real issues--and Bush is ill equipped to explain a complex diplomatic issue. And his followers appear even less so.

3 comments:

P M Prescott said...

A heart felt "Hell Yeah" on almost all your points. On abortion actually the majority of American thought is exactly like yours. It is called "Personally opposed -- Pro Choice" Most people really do find it hard to impose their personal principles onto others. Which is why once Roe V. Wade is overturned I think within a decade except for the Southern States abortion will be allowed with restrictions in almost all other states. Roe V. Wade was actually a little too libertarian for this country to swallow at the time. Most importantly it will be put back into the Will of the People. Democracy actually working here. Slow but sure. Then as each state's battle ground gives way to allowing abortion watch the smugness of the Religious Right start to deteriorate. All the two ton statues of the Ten Commandments in the world will not turn back the clock forever.

Anonymous said...

On the ports deal, I find this both hilarious and sad. The administration has so successfully painted all Arabs if not all Muslims with the same broad brush in preparing the country to accept the dubious Iraq war, that now they are caught in a mess of their own making.

They have been equating Arabs and Muslims with terrorists for so long that it's quite difficult to come back and convince those whose prejudices they so successfully exploited that although they have argued that Arabs are a THREAT to our national security, these Arabs are a cherished American ally in the war on terror.

If only our rhetoric and policies had been so discerning at the outset, we might not be in this mess to begin with.

Streak said...

Roe is one of those interesting cases, isn't it? I saw a post on a blog the other day detailing how to perform an abortion. When it comes right down to it, I believe the best way to reduce abortion is through education, good birth control, and the reduction of economic tensions. I am fearful of the back alleys once Roe falls, and I do think it will fall. Maybe out of that will come better law, I don't know.

Bucky, this is why you should be posting instead of me. You nailed why this is a problem for the administration. I would also add what I already said last week--that the problem is the process, not the ultimate deal. The administration got away with "trust me, I listen to God" for the first term and two wars. Now the formerly cowed press is challenging and asking questions.

One other variable, btw, was clearly explained by E.J. Dionne the other night. As Bush's poll numbers fall, his name and persona become, as even David Brooks acknowledged, radioactive in swing states. Republicans running in close districts are trying to distance themselves from Bush. That includes open criticism of things like this Dubai deal, which further fragements the repub credibility, making it much more difficult for Bush's numbers to go up, meaning that these Repubs have to distance themselves further, and on and on.

I certainly hope that is the case. As my conservative friends enjoyed it when Clinton received some humility, I must confess to enjoying the Bush struggle. I just don't enjoy the massive problems that his political incompetence gives us.