July 29, 2008

The American Lawn

Our neighbors to one side are both zoologists, and we have had more than a few conversations about water pollution and environmental responsibility. That, plus reading a book on America's obsession with the lawn, annual discussions about the "dead zone" of oxygen depleted water in the Gulf created in part by fertilizers has made me a pretty hand's off lawn manager. I don't water (unless it starts to turn completely brown) and have not applied either weed killer or fertilizer for many, many years. If I could get around to it, I would like to replace a lot of the grass with some kind of drought-resistant monkey grass to further reduce the mowing.

So, it makes me feel a little better when I read this about how much money, water, and chemicals go into our lawns:
"Amount of lawn in the United States: 40.5 million acres
Total amount of money spent on lawn care: $30 billion

Percent of residential water used outside: 30 to 60%
Amount of water used daily for residential irrigation: more than 7 billion gallons

Amount of fertilizers used on lawns annually: 3 million tons
Percent reduction of nitrogen fertilizer needed if clippings left on lawn: about 50%

Amount of synthetic pesticides used on lawns annually: over 30 thousand tons
Amount spent on pesticides in 2001 for home and garden use: almost $2.2 billion
Ratio of pesticide use per acre by the average homeowner versus the average farmer: 10 to 1"
More.
Steinberg estimates that we spend $40 Billion a year on lawn care, that some 75,000 + Americans are injured using lawn mowers (roughly the same as injured by firearms).

Americans spill about 17 million gallons of gas each summer (or 50% more than was spilled in the Exxon Valdez).

Millions of birds die each year as a result of lawn-care pesticides.

2 comments:

leighton said...

I'm still in the apartment-renting phase of my life, but I never really understood the preoccupation with lawns. Then again, that could be a product of growing up in Portland, where it's pretty normal not to do anything to lawns beyond mow them in the summer.

steves said...

I don't either. Several of my neighbors are lawn fanatics. They spend time every day patrolling their lawn for weeds and mow at least once a week. One told me that he spends around $200-300/month on water in the summer. Their laws do like nice, but I just don't share their obsession.

I'd wish I could say that I am entirely motivated by the environment, but the fact is that I just don't enjoy doing lawn work. It can also get very expensive. If it weren't for the fact that we may try to sell our home in the next few years, I would probably try and plant something easy to care for.

My dad wasn't a lawn care afficiando, so that is probably some of the reason I am not. My wife doesn't really care that much and she hates mowing as much as I do.