July 20, 2008

A "giving kiosk"

Courtesy of my friend Mary, this from a mainline Methodist church. One of my Baptist friends pointed out that there is very little difference between paying a tithe with check or credit card. I think in isolation, that is exactly right and this just reflects the changing ways we move money in our society.

But in the broader contexts of churches relying on business models, focus groups, and preachers trained in communication rather than theology, it concerns me.

3 comments:

Tony said...

Does God take Visa or Mastercard?

Streak said...

Everything except Discover, I think. God doesn't like paying those service charges....

Anonymous said...

Wait, I'm sure God wants us to have our cash-back bonus points....

I think Jesus was pretty clear about money-changing in the temple. And as my 13-year old observed, "If nothing else, it's in bad taste."