March 31, 2004

Church Inc., cont. Part 4

So, what would I ask from the church? I would ask for the church to stress morality beyond the church setting. I would suggest that looking at public policy through basic moral lense is a requirement of the church. My friend has asked if I am asking for political pronouncements from the pulpit, and the answer to that is no. I find the overt politicization of the church as annoying as the marketing. I find the Pat Robertson approach to be so unbelievably crass as to boggle the mind. But I would contend that the church can and should address public policy questions in a non-partisan manner. They already do that with regards to abortion, but arguing that regardless of party, that the rights of the unborn should be protected. They often do that with regards to gays. I think they are often wrong on both counts, but they are addressing a public policy issue. Why not on poverty or the environment? The church should be asking their members if they are supporting a tax policy that is immoral?

If they support a tax policy that rewards wealth and punishes the working class, then they need to show me how that is justified by their faith. If they support political movements that demonize the poor, they need to reassess. I think there are ways for the church to moderate the strong conservative extremism without becoming overtly political. And what about the environment? I think there are numerous ways that the church can become active without being political here as well. They could change their consumption at the church, make an effort to reduce energy usage, long lasting light bulbs, prefer sound efficient buildings to large edifices, encourage members to pursue conservation when possible. None of these require a political angle. All of them seem important. I have heard of only liberal churches even caring about these issues. The conservative church has endorsed (at least tacitly) republican policies that are harsh on the environment and elevate the rich above the poor. But if the church themselves is mostly about consumption, then this should be no surprise.

No comments: