July 10, 2005

Not inspiring

I was flipping tv yesterday and wandered upon Country Music. Sometimes I watch the videos there. Those not made by Toby Keith aren't terrible. Except for Rascal Flatts. If you have heard them, you know what I mean.

Anyway, yesterday, I saw this little puff news piece that the CMT does. The news bits included the aforementioned Toby Keith being inducted into the OK Hall of Music (not impressed) and the news that Rascal Flatts' guitar player was engaged to the Playboy Playmate of the Year. Ok, whatever. But they interviewed this Joe Don Rooney about his impending nuptials. He said of his playmate bride: "she makes me feel so good about myself. And that is so important."

Really? That is what marriage is about? I think we may have a window into some of the marriage problems of our country. Playboy Playmate or not, at some point, Tiffany whatever is not going to be able to "make" Joe Don (if that is his real name) good about himself.

SOF and I had the good fortune to have a SS teacher in Houston who was a practicing psychologist. He was great, and taught us a lot about fighting fair, expectations, etc. But during the class, he described something that has always stuck. When we are "in love" (puppy love, it is commonly called) he pointed out that we aren't in love with that other person. We really can't be. We don't even know them. We are smitten with how we look in their eyes. Their adoration of who we might be is intoxicating. But it isn't really about the other person. I think Joe Don just described it pretty well. Mature relationships move past that stage and we choose to love this other person in a mature and intimate way. But then we actually know the other person.

No comments: