July 20, 2005

So, how do I feel?

Some may wonder where I stand on Bush's nomination. Here is my quick take: this was a relatively smart pick on Bushy's part. The guy doesn't have a huge track record and is demonstrably good at what he does. I am really wondering if this one is worth fighting. Bush has not put forward a nut, and so Democrats will look obstructionist if they go "to war" on this.

Am I happy with him? No, but we just won't know what kind of Judge he is for sometime. I remember being horrified that GHWB put up Souter. And now Souter is one of my favorites on the court. I think there are bigger battles to fight here. This is one where the conservatives are right--they control both houses and the White House. They get this nomination.

-------

A commenter argued here that Jesus never endorsed Government handouts, and I think suggested my post on McKibben was a bit unfair to conservative Christians by suggesting that they don't care about the poor. As I pointed out in the comments, McKibben addresses overall taking care of the poor here and abroad. We do a shitty job. All of us. Republicans seem to want to do less. That is my point. And, while I concede that Jesus never endorsed the Head Start program, nowhere do I read that he bashed taxes, advocated cutting those same taxes, or endorsed an overall get rich while you can mentality.

-------

Speaking of that, I am asking a friend of mine to justify his Republican votes by his faith. How does the Christian message correlate to voting Republican? Serious question. And if I concede that Repubs might be right on abortion, can we set that one aside? And, not conceding this point, let's stay away from homosexuality. On economics and social justice, where do Republican policies even come close to reflecting Christian values?

Anyone?

--------

One more point before I brave the heat to mow the lawn. It seems to me that one of the really important issues in this entire Rove debate is yet to be explored. Time Magazine essentially gave up their reporter. This is exactly what we have been fearing for sometime--that the corporatization of the news media would mean that profits would dominate over the news gathering process. don't get me wrong, I am glad this information came to light, because I really want to see Rove in prison orange. But this is a bad trend. We are not far away (or already are there) from corporate news refusing to cover corporate crime, or any news that would reflect badly on the corporate mission (by which I mean profit).

No comments: