July 14, 2005

Sometimes bad people win

As you can see from my earlier post, I am a bit on edge over this Rove thing. I think deep down I believe that bad people will be found out and that good people will eventually do good. Talk about naive, eh?

I sometimes over-simplify things. I think I understand the conservative Christian world view. Or at least part of it. I grew up learning that truth was absolute--right is right and wrong is wrong.

But I also understand that the political world is completely different. Right is what you can get. Politics is about compromise and making deals. Ted Kennedy and Orrin Hatch are on opposite sides of just about everything, but they work together.

Those two worlds don't work well together. Those are not compatible world-views. And Karl Rove, when he isn't undermining national security, is completely in the second world. But he has sold the first world the idea that he (and his annoying boss) are in the first world.

But they aren't. You don't race bait if you are a committed Christian who understands the "sin" of racism. You don't badmouth people behind their back. You are charged to actually treat your enemies with grace and love. Rove and Bush don't even come close.

So, as I am calmer tonight (after mowing) I still struggle with those who believe in an absolute world view making excuses for people like Bush and Rove. And I can't tell you how many people have done that. People who believe that right is right tell me with a straight face that you can't expect Bush to admit making errors. Are you kidding me? Things they would never allow or tolerate in their kids, they excuse and even encourage in their President.

I am struggling with that. I don't want to resent people for giving us Bush. I am preparing to have to forgive my fellow Americans for letting Bush and Rove get away with murder.

But as a wise man once told me, forgiveness is a tricky thing. If you lend someone money and they never pay you back, you can forgive that debt, but you don't have to loan them money anymore.

I will work to forgive the church. I just won't trust the church for moral advice.

4 comments:

Dr. Mike Kear said...

Thanks for a great post, Streak. You've captured my sentiments exactly. I've been gnawing on this Rove thing for awhile, and the biggest problem for me is the Church's reaction to it. I was blogging just yesterday in a very similar vein.

I'm posting a link to your article on the Emmaus Theory.

Peace,

Mike

Unknown said...

Great post. But I think you paint churches with too big a brush. There are churches, and I'm sure many of them are evangelical, who are appalled by Rove and his action, as well as with the behaviour of other "Christians" who look the other way because he's God's, oops, er, I mean, Bush's right hand man.

kgp

Streak said...

Thanks Dr. Mike, and I appreciate the plug.

kgp, I know you are right, and I bet Anglican agrees whole-heartedly with you. My frustration is with the conservative church that is so aligned with Bush, but at times I lash out at the entire church body. That isn't right.

Anonymous said...

Streak: The Mennonite church in our neighborhood was a life-saver for me.

One day a member who now lives in Cambodia came back and talked about the little house churches that are popping up everywhere. I found myself wishing there were little house-meeting-sized groups of theologically conservative/politically progressive people finding each other and encouraging one another.

But finding each other in person, not just online, is not an easy matter. I was hoping my blog would be a way people could find and connect with others in their local area, but it hasn't worked out that way--yet.

The Original Vida Article explains a bit more of my thinking.

Meg