April 8, 2007

Easter

I don't normally do Easter well, and am not sure I can explain why. We are trying to remedy that. Last night, SOF and I attended an Easter service at the Episcopal church. Very nice (though I would like an explanation for the incense). As Anglican explained, last night's service is one of the oldest in the church. It was very interesting, including the first time in years that I heard the creation story read through. Listening last night, I was reminded of other creation stories.

I was also reminded of our discussion on the Old Testament God. The service also included the story of the Israelites rescued from Egypt. I understand that the purpose was to retell the story of God saving them from slavery, but the story saddens me as well, and perhaps especially since I know those stories have informed this kind of us v. them, and seems to have written Bush's foreign policy. But that reading seems so narrow and selective. Reading in the Book of Common Prayer, it is amazing how many times the call is to bring justice, seek peace, and to treat every other human being with dignity.

My own Easter experience is mixed. I remember sunrise services--including one where I rode with a couple of older boys to light the fire. I really remember being cold. I remember listening to Handel, singing in the choir, and the nice dinner after. I also remember the high school and college girls showing off their new Easter dresses. Even then that struck me as odd. This morning, while getting coffee at our local Starbucks, we were surrounded by Easter clad church goers--one family in their black Escalade. Sigh.

I remember Joseph Campbell saying that focussing on the literal truth of the stories often resulted in missing the meaning of the story. There is much richness and meaning in these stories. May we find it, and may we truly seek for peace and justice in this world.

2 comments:

Tony said...

Streak,

I preached today on John 13, Christ washing the disciples' feet. I said that we are "people of the resurrection" and that as such we should act and behave just as if we have been transformed by the Gospel.

How does it play out? Stooping low to serve those around us and loving those who are unlovable; John 13:34. "A new command I give to you that you love one another."

Why is it new? Love for God then was expressed as keeping the commandments of God. It was clear that the one who loved God best was the one who kept his commands the best. The new command is to love one another and that is the purest expression of the law or of one's love for God. This was a revolutionary idea and it still is.

There is another preacher, a Campbell by the name of Will, who said that a good sermon begins at the point it ends. Christ won't be found in the church; if you want to look for Christ, it is best to go out and find him in the places where the people are sick, or naked or hungry.

I don't mean to preach a sermon in your comment thread, but just to say this: we aren't that far apart.

Streak said...

Ah, Tony, is it? We used to have a commenter around here by that name. :)

Glad to see you back. I know you have been busy.