February 25, 2010

Interesting graph of the day

From Matthew Yglesias and an interesting poll showing how conservative, or very conservative (self-identified) actually have very little interest in cutting or reducing spending by category.

One of my points about the "small government conservative" tending more toward they mythical than the actual. As this graph suggests, they don't really want to reduce government that much. They just (not in this graph) don't want to pay for any of it.

That is not a governing philosophy.

1 comment:

steves said...

One of the bloggers over where I blog posted this. I think most Americans from both sides of the spectrum want to pay less taxes (to some degree), but don't want to lose programs that they like. I know that Republicans make a big deal about cutting taxes, but there are Democrats that push a huge range of programs without thinking about how it will be paid for.

I think there are some small gov't conservatives that would cut spending, but I don't think this is a notion embraced by mainstream GOP'ers.