February 16, 2010

Ken Starr is back

Got this from Bruce Prescott's blog, but it appears that Baylor has made an odd choice for university President. I am not that interested in Baptist politics any longer. I have not been a member of a Baptist church since we lived in Houston. But I agree with this blogger (and Bruce) that this signals that the Baptist leadership in Texas have decided to further politicize their denomination. You only hire someone like Starr because you think that he will be a good fundraiser and emissary for you. Who likes Starr more than the far right? Clearly not an effort to reach those in the middle.

Also in that blog link was a story about Baptists
losing members in the 20s and 30s. The conclusion is not terribly difficult. They are annoyed with churches that either align with political hatred or those who have nothing to say on the moral issues of the day. Perhaps those people are also stunned with the silence from the churches regarding torture. I hope that is true.

As SOF and I often discuss, the fusing of religious conservatism with the Republican party had consequences. Hiring Ken Starr is perfectly logical when you thought Bush was some kind of fundamentalist savant. But it is hard to see how this merging is good for either church or state. Grownup Baptists should be angered about both. We shall see.

4 comments:

Ken said...

Since you aren't a Baptist, perhaps you should mind your own business.

Streak said...

Well is that the funniest comment yet.

So, Ken, are you a Baptist? Here is your chance to defend Baylor selecting this particular right wing idiot to run their University.

Go for it.

Ken said...

Ken Starr isn't an idiot, he is a very bright man.

I am a Baptist. In my opinion, Baylor is more secular than religious, and marginally Baptist. I don't know the reasons why they wanted Starr for that job, but I assume they think he is a good fit. Since I'm not a Baylor alum, and since I don't know of anything that would disqualify Starr for that job, I'm happy to let Baylor decide who they want to run their university.

Streak said...

Ok. Fair enough. We can agree that Starr has some brain power. I am not sure he is smart in a way that I recognize, but he is probably not an idiot (ala Sarah Palin, for example).

So here is my question for you. Here you are, a Baptist, you come across my site and read that I am a former Baptist. Your response is to tell me off. You don't really inquire as to why I left the church, or see if I am interested in coming back (I am not, fyi). You tell me to mind my own business and shut up.

Just curious why Baptists seem to willing to let me and so many others leave? That entire "witness" thing seems to have gone by the wayside. If I am offended by the Baptist church's endorsement of Bush and his torture tactics (tacit endorsement mostly, with some open encouragement at certain levels), I am told to shove off. Good riddance, seems to be the message.

God teaches you to love people, but in my estimation (beyond those friends and family who clearly still love me and care about me) Baptists seem to think that liberals are not worth caring about.

I don't get that.