February 1, 2010

On the myth of Bi-Partisanship

Which, I am sure you realize, I no longer believe in. Not that I don't believe that people can work to bridge differences (though Republicans around me are doing their damnedest to prove to me that is impossible), but that in modern parlance it means that Republicans want Democrats to embrace completely Republican legislation or they will cry partisanship.

Fallows takes it on here starting with this great story told him by a staffer or congressman who witnessed the following exchange:
"GOP member: 'I'd like this in the bill.'

"Dem member response: 'If we put it in, will you vote for the bill?'

"GOP member: 'You know I can't vote for the bill.'

"Dem member: 'Then why should we put it in the bill?'

He goes on to point out that bi-partisanship is impossible in the world of minority party discipline, and it is ludicrous to blame Obama for that.

No comments: