April 4, 2005

Back

Back and glad to be back. It was a good trip. As I wrote earlier, I learned a lot about myself. I may write more about that later.

Went to a powwow on Saturday. I like them and was glad I got the opportunity. I love the drum singers. I love watching the group work and try to figure out who is leading. I even like the fact that I seem to be the only one in the room that doesn't pick up the cue that the song is ending.

Going to powwows makes me so very hyper conscious of community ritual. I watch the kids out there on the floor or the friends talking and mingling between the singers and dancers and think of my own experiences. Did I do that with county fairs? Church picnics? The weekly football games in our small town?

I don't know. For some reason those don't feel the same to me, but then again, I wasn't watching them with that in mind. I just was there.

Anyway. Good to be back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Streak, I am glad you are back in Oklahoma too.

-- Cold in Laramie

Anonymous said...

and here i thought cold in laramie was a reference to the weather . . .

streak got tagged!