April 15, 2005

More "Christianity" that makes me shudder

Update: I forgot to credit Cold in Laramie for this link. Thanks.

Talking Jesus, Mary and Moses dolls due to go on sale in May - Apr. 12, 2005

That's right. Talking dolls for Jesus, Mary and Moses. Notice how white Jesus is. Gee, I wonder what demographic that doll is aimed for. In more proof of the commercialization of the church and the faith, this guy is aiming his marketing at churches and church schools. No "Toys-R-Us" just Church gift shops. I can see the marketing now: "Some parents don't really want their kids to be saved--they haven't even bought Johnny a Talking Jesus!"

Rant point number two. Thanks, Greg for this guide to godly wifedom, I guess. In the included excerpt, she talks about the three kinds of men. My favorite (besides Mr. Command--who she notes needs a wife who "becom[es] his adoring Queen; honoring and obeying his every (reasonable and unreasonable) word. She will dress, act, and speak so as to bring him honor everywhere she goes.") is Mr. Visionary, who she notes "conquered the Wild West, though they would not have been the farmers who settled it."

See, all that stuff I was talking about regarding Columbus, Native Americans, etc? Here is proof that for many white Christian Americans, history is just a throwaway line--a grand idea that ignores the reality of Native Americans or the American West. At least she recoznizes the reality of conquest, but I wonder if she knows that includes Mr. Visionary using a hatchet on Indian children?

6 comments:

roya parsay said...

how does it sound?

Streak said...

Funny you should ask: Click here to hear the dolls.

WJB said...

I agree with Leighton - the "whiteness" of Jesus and Moses is interesting, if not scaray.

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

This reminds me of a Saturday Night Live commercial some years back about a nativity scene/baby Jesus that made the most grating robotic sound. No way to sleep in heavenly peace at all.

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

I just listened to the samples. The Mary doll says a portion of The Magnificat (or "The Song of Mary", Luke 1:46-55). Funny that they leave out the part that says, "He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty."

Wasp Jerky said...

I prefer this one, Streak.

Incidentally, I think you'd have a lot of fun in the Gadgets for God section over at Ship of Fools.