April 22, 2005

More on Christianity--Saturday morning edition

My last post spurred some great comments from JoeG, Bootleg Blogger and Kevin Powell (Samuel Johnson quote, eh?).

The Bootlegger made a comment, however that speaks to much of this angst and frustration I am feeling about my faith vis a vis a Tom Delay. He wrote: "Evidently alot of people like Delay's brand of Christianity, whether that means his religion or his politics, I don't know. He's the one in power right now and that alone will attract a good number of people to him. Does his use of the Christian term bother me? Sure. Unlike him, though, I'm happy to toss the term if it doesn't mean anything anymore."

I am a bit tired this afternoon, so stay with me. BB is talking about the "labels" of Christianity (as was anonymous last week) and what they mean. Reminds me a bit of my own discussion about institutions--how as they age they become more conservative and territorial. They lose their initial drive or mission and become all about protecting the institution.

This label of Christianity reminds me of this. If I understand BB (and feel free to correct me), those who claim the label often become enamored of the label and completely forget the underlying faith, meaning, relationship, what have you.

I think this explains part of my frustration with the religious right (though BB's warning is for all of us, not just the religious right) is this superficial approach to this label. (Liberals need to take heed, because just as conservative christians have been fooled by politicians spouting the "faith" language, so can liberals be fooled by someone who talks about sustainability, environmental protection, social justice, etc., and acts opposite). Asserting that we were a Christian nation is a great example. I ask, "what does that mean?" Does it mean that the nation was "saved" and now isn't? Does it mean that God reached down and formed us out of Canada's rib?

The historian in me asks how that statement matches with the ethnic cleansing-slavery-child labor-land stealing part of the history? I get answers about "sin" and that is it. But beneath the label is nothing usable. Put the ten commandments in classrooms? And what does that do/prove? Force kids to pray? Call ourselves Christian and then what?

The problem is that the label has turned into the goal. Dig beneath it and you find... well.... Tom Delay and George Bush telling Karla Fay Tucker jokes. It isn't real faith. The fruit is plastic.

No comments: