April 10, 2005

You know those Grownup Republicans? Well, none here:

Thanks to Shaun at Upper Left for this link. Evidently the fringe of the Radical Right met in Washington to bemoan the activist judges. Read the Washington Post story and tell me that these people really believe in a loving God. Phyllis Schafly is bad enough, but Michael Farris, the guy who is the most active defender of homeschooling, has suggested that judges be impeached in huge numbers, and that congress--that's right, the congress of people like Tom Delay and Hastert--should be able to vacate judicial positions. Nothing like the "rule of law." The article also highlights a guy who hints that Delay and Cornyn are right, that somehow the people who are so badly offended by the judicial decisions should take their disagreements to the street. Kill the judges. What's a democracy for, anyway, if you don't get your way?

I keep saying that I am waiting for the grownup repubs to show up. Chris Shays has spoken out, as has Danforth, but we have yet to see if the others will show up.

I am also waiting for the grownup Christians to denounce the hatred exhibited by Schlafly and Farris. I am waiting for the people who wear their faith on their sleeve to show some humility and accountability. I would like to see any evidence that they actually believe in a loving God, the one the NT talks about with the gentle Shepard. Instead, I see hatred and ignorance masquerading as faith.

Any wonder I would rather pass on this?

2 comments:

Catholic Girl said...

You know, my faith hit a rough patch about six months ago and hasn't really recovered. After a lot of thought and prayer, I'm starting to wonder how much of a role events like this one are playing in my struggle. It's really, really hard to believe the things I thought were true when other people read the same things and interpret them to mean "Jesus wants us to impeach judges for doing their jobs when it means we don't get our way, or hell, let's just shoot them." I know other things are also part of why faith is really hard for me to have lately, but honestly, I get so depressed and angry when I see what these people are doing to Christianity. What do I do? Ignore it? Not an option. Back to the drawing board.

Streak said...

I hear you. Man, do I hear you. It is very hard to see beyond the very public expressions of supposedly Christian faith. When you figure out what to do, please let me know.