November 19, 2005

discouraged

Watching the news lately is hard stuff. Cutting taxes and cutting programs for the poor. Then John Murtha calls for our withdrawal from Iraq. I am not sure he is right. In fact, I fear that Bob Kerrey has it right when he says that if we do that we communicate to our enemies that we are a paper tiger. But Murtha is no coward, and is articulating what a lot of people think.

But nothing bothers me more than the Republican response. People who used to support military veterans now just simply denounce a man who fought in the Korean and Vietnam conflict, was awarded a Bronze star and earned Purple Hearts. This man is hardly a coward and Republicans who say that should be ashamed. Especially since not one of them actually served. This has all the earmarks of a Rovian move. People disagree with you? Call them cowards or unpatriotic. Say that they don't support the troops. Shame. Shame.

I was taught to respect people who served. I still do. I have had some very difficult conversations with veterans about policy, but I have never doubted their patriotism or dedication to country. And I have always tried to communicate that to them. I don't really know if I have it in me to serve in the military.

But when I see a Republican like Dick Cheney belittle liberals like Murtha, I wince. When I see a congresswoman like Jean Smith call Murtha coward, I feel a little sick. I think of all those conservatives I respect--who know better. I wonder if they listen to Smith and Cheney and agree or if it bothers them. I hope it bothers them. It sure as hell bothers me.

No comments: