November 11, 2005

Words

Thinking more about music today, I am reminded of how much I love good writing. Reading this blog you may not know that. Much of what I write is quick and angry. That is fine with a blog, but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate a well turned phrase.

The other day, Anglican and I had lunch and we mentioned a poet. I don't remember the context, but it reminded me of our approach to language. I doubt that many of us listen to poets. As the Wilco song puts it: "I wonder why we listen to poets, when nobody gives a fuck" (Ashes of American Flags, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot). Or in Poor Places: "He takes all his words from the books, that you don't read anyway."

Or we do and just don't call them poets. I have tried my hand at songwriting lately. It is hard, much harder than it looks. Not to write a song--that isn't that hard. But to do it well? That is a different story. My one completed song (SOF has heard it) is just fair. I am not happy with it.

But I really enjoy listening to good songs. Some work because the melody is so good and you overlook the lyrics. Or the vocal is so strong that other weaknesses just don't matter. Kasey Chambers and Kathleen Edwards both have that kind of voice--can make a mediocre song really good.

But then you hear a song that combines both--strong and interesting lyrics with compelling music. Those are the songs that remain in your playlist. Musical phrases that seem to always grab me. A little rhythm riff, or mandolin filler. A turn of phrase that always keeps me coming back.

______

While putting together my playlist yesterday, I missed one song that has really caught me lately. Sufjan Stevens has a very interesting style, and his "John Wayne Gacy, Jr." is one of the more haunting and compelling songs I have ever heard.
"Twenty-seven people, even more
They were boys with their cars, summer jobs
Oh my God

When he hits "Oh my God." Wow. How can a song about a serial killer be so good?

But many great songs have been written about bad people and tragic events. Bruce Springsteen's "Johnny 99" comes to mind.
He came home too drunk from mixin' tanqueray and wine
He got a gun shot a night clerk now they call him johnny 99

Or his "Nebraska."
From the town of lincoln nebraska with a sawed-off .410 on my lap
Through to the badlands of wyoming I killed everything in my path

Or Robbie Fulks' equally haunting "Cold Statesville Ground"
Heed well the tale of William Hayes
Born 35 years ago, and he'll hang today.

I don't know what it is. Perhaps evil is hard for us to understand and these poets can help us. Our artists explain a lot for us.

6 comments:

dorsano said...

I can amplify a couple of points ...

Some work because the melody is so good and you overlook the lyrics. Or the vocal is so strong that other weaknesses just don't matter.

I think this is true - a poet has only the words on the page to work with. Poetry is not recited as often as it used to be (it's not even read as often as it used to be).

A poet today is really left with little more than his or her insight into the human condition to endear him to the world at large - and original insight is tough to come by.

Or we do and just don't call them poets. I have tried my hand at songwriting lately. It is hard, much harder than it looks.

Sonnet is an Italian word that means "little song". It has its roots in Italian folk songs sung at weddings and other family celebrations.

In the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, poetry sung - not recited.

ANewAnglican@gmail.com said...

The rumors of poetry's demise are greatly exaggerated. From sixteen-year-old lovestruck sophomores to rap music, poetry is alive and well, just maybe not in iambic pentameter.

Anonymous said...

Several of my most favorite songs reduce me to tears. Sometimes tears of grief, sometimes tears of gratitude and sometimes tears of plaintive hope....melancholgy, mournful hope, but still holding onto hope that good will overcome the bad.

Here's my top played and 5 stars.

One Moment More, Mindy Smith
Holy, Nichole Nordeman
Come To Jesus, Mindy Smith
Requiem, Eliza Gilkyson
The Prayer (with Celine Dion), Andrea Bocelli
Doubting Thomas, Nickel Creek
Helena, Nickel Creek
Word Of God Speak, MercyMe
Hurricane, Mindy Smith
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, U2
Broken Things, Lucy Kaplansky
There Is A Reason, Alison Krauss

Something sorta cool happened while writing this comment. I searched my iTunes library for songs with "Reason" in the title, so for the last 20 minutes it's been playing songs with "reason" in the title. Some GREAT songs. Very Cool.

There's A Reason, MercyMe
One Good Reason, Lucy Kaplansky
All The Right Reasons, The Jayhawks
Reason To Believe, The Jayhawks
There Is A Reason, Alison Krauss & Union Station
Reason To Believe, Bruce Springsteen

SOF

Anonymous said...

I think this is why I have such an appreciation for certain musicians. I have always been a huge Bob Dylan fan, firmly believe Ray Davies to be Britain's greatest living genius, really dig the American cynicism of Lou Reed and the distinctly British bleak optimism XTC, love the surrealism of both They Might Be Giants and Soul Coughing (and Mike Doughty's solo stuff is good too), and feel the angst and whatnot of the Replacements (Paul Westerberg's lyrics) and Husker Du (both Bob Mould and Grant Hart's songs).

Lately, the music I am listening to a lot is best described as literary. This includes Sufjan Stevens, The Decemberists, The Arcade Fire, and Magnetic Fields.

OK, this wasn't going to be a laundry list, but this is where we find ourselves.

And hey Streak, wherever did you hear of Robbie Fulks? He's really fun to see live.

Streak said...

And hey Streak, wherever did you hear of Robbie Fulks?

Yeah, yeah. From you. You want a medal? :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'll take a medal. Thanks for offering.