February 18, 2007

This is just disheartening

Conservative Anglican leaders snub liberal U.S. bishop on Yahoo! News:
"Seven conservative Anglican archbishops refused to take communion with the head of the U.S. branch of the church on Friday, in protest at her pro-gay stance in a row pushing the Church toward schism.

'This deliberate action is a poignant reminder of the brokenness of the Anglican Communion,' said a statement posted on the Web site of the Anglican Church of Nigeria, led by Archbishop Peter Akinola.

'We are unable to take the Holy Table with the presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church because to do so would be a violation of the traditional Anglican teaching,' it said."
It is hard for me to imagine Jesus taking this action.

But then again, I find myself frustrated with the entire way the Bible is read, misread, used as weapon, etc. by all sides. There are times when the Bible appears as a Rorschach test for whoever reads it.

5 comments:

Dennis said...

I keep thinking that what the Bible is and is not is at the heart of the collapse of ecumenism in the USA. The great dividing line is the doctrine of inerrancy, and those who favor it are all too quick to dismiss the opposition as "Unchristian."

Streak said...

dennis, thanks for the comment. I hope you continue to comment here.

Dennis said...

I wonder if you'd mind sending me an email; my address is on my blogger profile. I don't see an email address for you here, and there's something I'd like to discuss with you.

Unknown said...

The Lord's Table is not a place for division.

Even if +Schori is in error, Augustine said that the validity of the sacrament was not dependent on the moral purity of the presider, or, I would guess, on the moral purity of the someone with whom one is receiving the sacrament.

They need to remember that Jesus broke bread and shared the cup with Judas at the last supper.

kgp

Dennis said...

Right you are, Kevin.