March 27, 2007

Just War? Or no?

I ran into a defender of this war over at Big Daddy Weave where, I will concede, I lost my cool. Today has been one of those down days where my mood seems to get darker as the clouds roll in. That, and as I told d.r., finding someone who so fully defends Bush in his implementation and decision to take us to war set off the beast.

But as I told him, I am opening the comments to this debate. Knowing what we know now, and even taking a look at what we knew then, can we call this a just war? d.r. says yes. I say no way. His initial comment lays out the terms for the "just war" defense. What say you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, here's what I got from that exchange. YESSSS! NOOOOOO!

And, perhaps most importantly, it is not you, per se, that are intellectual. Rather it is your ideas that are anti-intellectual, and as some might argue, stupid. To place those labels on you more directly would simply be an ad hominem tactic. This is more sophisticated.

Or something,

D.R. said...

Streak,

I appreciate your email to me. And I am truly sorry that my words incited your response. Sometimes I don't know how my words come across and that is definitely my fault. BDW, Michael, and I go at it pretty hard sometimes so I am kind of used to it over there. But that is no excuse for my miscommunication.

Also, I really must make my email link more available as I hear that a lot. Or maybe it just isn't functioning, as that would be normal for Blogger. If you still want to discuss this I would do so. I would actually rather discuss your blog on God calling Israel to destroy a people group (but for now, let me suggest a book: Show Them No Mercy: Four Views on God and Caananite Suicide, while it might not deal with that particular text, it does deal with Christian 'genocide' from different perspectives along the Evangelical spectrum). And I know that the shelf life of a particular post on the blogosphere is quite short. I will check back tomorrow to see if you do indeed want to continue the discussion (though I might not actually be able to respond until Saturday). Thanks again,
D.R.

Streak said...

d.r., feel free to jump in on the discussion on the violence in the OT. I moved it to the top of the blog because it should have been there anyway, but I forgot to update it after writing the first part as a draft.